Standard 7.E

“Implement curriculum plans that include effective technology-enhanced methods and strategies to maximize student learning.”

Technology is a great resource to teachers who need additional ways to convey meaning. For most of today’s students, who have had technology available to them most of their lives and who play video games and watch TV as a main source of entertainment, technology is a communication method that they understand and appreciate.

During my student teaching, I used our projector quite often to display supplemental materials on the front board. For our Inherit the Wind unit, I used the projector and a Word document to display the role assignments for each scene, so that students could jump right in when it was their turn to read. Also, during the Inherit the Wind unit, I implemented some social learning about issues relating to discrimination and acceptance of others. After the 2008 Presidential election, I showed students a CNN.com video clip of Senator John McCain’s concession speech, in order to encourage students to respond gracefully to the election outcome. (Many of my students were raised in families that believed in white supremacy, and so when Barack Obama was elected, there were, unfortunately, several racist remarks made at school the following day.) In an intensive social learning lesson, I used the projector to show students a clip from PBS Frontline’s special on A Class Divided, an experiment in discrimination done in the 1970s by Jane Elliott, a 3rd grade teacher in Iowa.

Without technology, it would be difficult to convey certain information to today’s generation of students. In the future, I would love to learn more about emerging technologies and ways to incorporate them into lessons and units.

Artifacts:

CNN.com video clip of Sen. John McCain’s concession speech

PBS Frontline link to A Class Divided