Standard 7

Technology Operations and Concepts

“Use of technological tools, operations, and concepts to enhance learning, personal/professional productivity, and communication.”

a. Understand the equity, ethical, legal, social, physical, and psychological issues surrounding the use of technology in K-12 schools and apply those principles in practice

During the research project that we worked on during Maymester, I provided several starting points online to look for information, so that students had help in finding reliable, safe sites for their research.

When students during Maymester and student teaching had homework that required home access to a computer or the Internet, I accommodated for students who did not have access to a computer/Internet at home.

b. Successfully complete and reflect upon collaborative online learning experiences

During my Student Teaching Seminar, I posted materials for the Inherit the Wind unit on a Moodle courseweb.

c. Demonstrate an understanding of and the ability to create an online learning experience, and demonstrate continued growth in knowledge of technology operations, resource evaluation for quality, objectivity, and reliability and concepts including strategies for teaching and learning in an online environment

During my Student Teaching Seminar, I used a Moodle courseweb and created digital portfolios.

During most of my Albion courses, I used Moodle coursewebs as a student.

When I student taught, we used Criterion, an online service through ETS that helps students to revise papers.

During student teaching, we used Power School, which allows parents and students to see current grades as soon as they are updated on the gradebook.

d. Plan, design, and evaluate effective technology-enhanced learning environments and experiences aligned with Michigan’s Content Standards and GLCE and Michigan Educational Technology Standards for each student*

For Maymester, I developed and implemented a unit plan that utilized online research.

During student teaching, we used word processing tools and Criterion in the development process for persuasive papers.

While I was student teaching, I used projections from the computer to enhance lessons, provide visuals for students, and watch videos related to current events.

e. Implement curriculum plans that include effective technology-enhanced methods and strategies to maximize student learning*

During student teaching, I projected supplemental materials on the board.

During student teaching and Maymester, we used Word, Criterion, and online research for lessons.

f. Apply technology to facilitate a variety of effective assessment and evaluation strategies

Our archetype quiz during the Ender’s Game unit when I was student teaching was graded via Scantron.

During student teaching, we used word processing and Criterion during the persuasive paper unit (final assessment for The Giver and Ender’s Game).

g. Use technology to engage in ongoing professional development, practice, productivity, communication, and life-long learning

As a learner, I use CNN.com as a source for current events.

During my student teaching, my mentor teacher and I used e-mail to share independent research, supplemental materials, and discuss possible modifications to lesson plans.

After graduation, I plan to take a web design class.