Standard 6

Responsibilities and Relationships to the Greater Community

“Participation in professional, local, state, national, and global learning communities.”

a. Understand the structure, function, purpose, and value of education and schools in a free, democratic, and pluralistic society*

In Education 202, I learned about the history of American education.

During my coursework for Ford Institute, I analyzed policy issues related to education (nationally and internationally).

b. Synthesize a teacher’s role in a changing society with the evolution of educational foundations and policy perspectives

My action research project during student teaching looked at ways teachers can help students to be open-minded about issues related to prejudice and discrimination, as well as teacher’s role in social learning.

During my coursework for the Ford Institute, I analyzed policy issues related to education, including No Child Left Behind.

c. Demonstrate an understanding of and participate in related organizations and activities in the communities in which the teacher works

During Maymester and student teaching, I went to a couple of student sporting events to show my support.

Throughout my time at Albion, I volunteered with Big Brothers Big Sisters as a mentor for local young girl.

d. Use community and home resources to enhance school programs and instruction*

In my Social Studies Pedagogy, I created a “Policy Issues” unit plan that utilized local history, locations, and resources.

e. Design learning activities for students that involve volunteer groups, civic and social organizations, and relevant public service agencies

The “Policy Issues” unit plan that I designed in my Social Studies Pedagogy class included guest speakers—local business owner and member of Albion Economic Development Corporation.

f. Participate with professional educators, school personnel, and other stakeholders in collaborative and cooperative planning, decision-making, and implementation, to improve educational systems at all levels

During my student teaching, I participated in in-service days and Professional Learning Community meetings.

Throughout my Education coursework, I went to some local school board meetings.