Standard 5.D

“Analyze the effects of teacher dispositions, decisions, and actions upon others (e.g., families, other personnel, and all students, including those with disabilities)

and adjust interactions accordingly.”

When I think back to the teachers I had throughout school, usually my initial memory is of my person-to-person interactions with them, and then what I learned from them. I have found that how a teacher interacts with students, parents, and other school faculty members greatly influences others’ perceptions of that teacher. Positive relationships are crucial to successful learning communities. This starts with the teacher’s overall disposition about teaching and radiates to the decisions that s/he makes throughout a school year.

In my opinion, positive behavior and attitude should be a starting point for all good teachers. If students see that their teacher respects them and is excited to help them learn, those students will be more apt to be excited to learn. When I taught during Maymester, several of my students told me that they appreciated my teaching style because I did not yell at them. They told me that this made them want to behave for me, since I respected them and found respectful ways to ask them to focus. Also, during my student teaching, on my last day with the students, several of them expressed their gratitude for my patience with them when they were rowdy or inattentive. Adolescents may not show their appreciation right away, but they really do appreciate being able to enter a safe learning environment.

During my student teaching, I had my first experience with the Power School program. This program immediately posts student grades online for parents and students to see, as soon as the teacher’s gradebook is updated. I learned quickly that certain students’ parents punished their kids if they saw that they were missing any work. Because of this, I tried to enter grades as quickly as I could so that grades were always as up-to-date and accurate as possible.

Regardless of how strict a teacher is, I think that all teachers should set a foundational positive environment within their classroom. Students should always feel safe within their learning environments. In addition, it is important to be observant and responsive to the ways in which actions affect students and their families. I have found that students are usually very honest and constructive when asked for feedback about a specific unit or overall teaching methods. Throughout my teaching experiences, I have sought student feedback to know how to better my teaching practices.

Artifacts:

Maymester exit survey

Student poems: