Standard 2

Instructional Design and Assessment

“Facilitation of learning and achievement of all students

(in accordance with the SBE Universal

Education Vision and Principles).”

a. Apply knowledge of human growth, development, and learning theory to design and implement instruction for the continuing development of students’ cognitive, affective, physical, emotional, and social capacities*

During my Developmental Psychology course, I learned about cognitive, emotional, and social development.

During my Education Pedagogy courses (Humanities, Social Studies, and Literacy), I learned about teaching methods that apply to students’ cognitive functioning and different learning style needs.

b. Assess learning and differentiate instruction to maximize student achievement and to accommodate differences in backgrounds, learning modes, disabilities, aptitudes, interests, and levels of maturity

Education 202: Found Contexts of Education and Education 261: Education of the Exceptional Youth focused on possible accommodations for students who may have varying special needs.

c. Understand the connections between instructional decisions, grading, and assessment data. Use formal and informal, as well as formative and summative, assessments to evaluate learning and ensure the academic achievement of all students

The book Educative Assessment, used in a couple of our Education courses, focused on differences between assessments and evaluations, and formative and summative assessments, as well as appropriate circumstances to use different forms of assessment.

d. Discern the extent to which personal belief systems and values may affect the instructional process and grading, and adjust instruction and interactions accordingly

During my placement for the Humanities Pedagogy and Student Teaching, when I taught Inherit the Wind (play about John Scopes trial, whether or not to teach evolution in schools), I decided to not tell students where I personally stand on the creationism/evolutionism spectrum so that they felt free to express their own beliefs.

When we did surveys/journals during my student teaching that involved strong opinions about beliefs, sometimes allowed anonymity so students felt comfortable being completely honest.

e. Differentiate instruction in an environment that facilitates each student’s learning and access to an equitable education

Throughout my Education coursework, I have gradually been developing my own personal philosophy of teaching, which includes the belief that all students are capable of learning and achieving success.

Pedagogy classes gave me tools to know how to design lessons/units that appeal to different student needs and learning styles.

f. Design and implement instruction based on Michigan Curriculum Framework (MCF), using multiple approaches to accommodate the diverse backgrounds, abilities, and needs of students, and modify instruction based on assessment data

Throughout my Education coursework, I have used Curriculum Standards in all lesson and unit plans.

In my Pedagogy classes and Education 202 and 261, I learned about varying methods of instruction based on student need.

g. Understand, design, and implement grading processes and assessments, using multiple approaches to accommodate diverse backgrounds, abilities, and needs of students

During my student teaching, some of our students had individualized plans for grading based on personal need, accommodations—I had to discern when to give extra time and when to not accept late work.

h. Exercise informed judgment in planning and managing time and resources to attain goals and objectives

The school that I student taught at had just recently implemented a “Professional Learning Community” plan, for which teachers of specific classes (i.e., all English 10 teachers) work together for common assessments and re-teaching based on assessment data. During my student teaching, we decided to return to a persuasive essay that students wrote, in order to help them strengthen their papers and earn higher grades for the overall assignment.

i. Promote literacy in a variety of contexts (e.g., numeric, graphics, textual, multi-media, artistic, and digital)

Education 373: Secondary Literacy Pedagogy focused on promoting literacy in all content areas.

During my student teaching, I provided students with multiple resources to organize information relating to literature.

j. Design, adopt, implement, and advocate for accommodations including assistive communicative devices, assistive technologies, and multiple strategies to enhance learning opportunities according to each student’s needs*

During my student teaching, I interacted with several students regarding accommodations, worked one-on-one with students who needed extra help, and developed goals with struggling students.